jeudi 30 avril 2009

How I first discovered the “Transition management”






















In 1996 after 12 years of experience in Supply Chain at different Management level within SmithKline Beecham, I have decided it was time for me to face new challenges and discover new horizons.
After a discrete lobbying in the International Operations Management Division in London I received an offer for China. The Polish Operations Director in Tianjin was looking for a temporary support in a local project to implement JD Edwards. My role was to make sure that all requirements from Warehouse, Shipping and Invoicing were taken into account by the Chinese Project manager. Also during this time he asked me to confirm whether or not a new Warehouse was necessary to face the increasing demand. After 6 months, JD Edwards was in place and I could confirm that the current warehouse was sufficient for the next few years according to the evolution of the Sales Forecast.

This was really my first experience with a very different culture. The background I had plus my flexibility has helped me to take a new job in a very short time and drive successfully the project until the end.

During my last month in China, The VP for International Operations called me to know if I was ready to take the first plane for a Global Supply Chain in Rio de Janeiro. This was really the kind of offer I couldn’t refuse. The first week of February 1997 I arrived in Brazil, just before Carnival.

At this time, SmithKline Beecham had just started a global project around the world to formalize and standardize its Supply Chain Processes, Organization and Systems. Nobody in Rio had the profile and the experience to lead the project locally. After the meeting the Brazilian General Manager, Mr Paul Hughes, asked me if I was ready to take over this job. This was the kind of proposal I was expecting since long. At the end of my mission in China, I started my second transition Management mission in Rio, in an office with a nice view on the Sugar Loaf.

In 6 months, I have recruited a good MRP2 Manager, as the Supply Chan skills were very limited in the organization. Also I had to choose the team members of the future project team and organize the training for all the participants. At the end of my mission, the project was on track and I could come back in Europe.

I didn’t know when I left Rio that the job of Interim Management would, 10 years later, become my day to day challenge.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire